

Leader of coup attempt, Gen Zúñiga, arrested by Bolivian police


(Epicstorian News)- The leader of an alleged coup attempt, Gen Zúñiga, has been arrested by the Bolivian police.
The military leader, Gen Zúñiga, was stopped a few hours after the presidential palace in La Paz was heavily occupied by troops.
Soldiers with armoured vehicles had siezed the Murillo Square, a key area of the government buildings, attempting tear down the entrance to the presidential palace.
Gen Juan José Zúñiga, according to reporters, had indicated his intention to achieve what he described as restructuring “democracy”, adding that in spite of his respect for resident Luis Arce “for now”, a change of government would emerge.
Gen Zúñiga was arrested after he had told the press the military “had staged the intervention at the president’s request”.
Gen Zúñiga appointed commander of the Bolivian Army
In 2022, the military leader, Gen Zúñiga was first appointed commander of the Bolivian Army but was replaced on Tuesday.
The cause of his removal was linked to his previous remarks about the former president of the country, Evo Morales.
In one footage, President Arce was seen inside the presidential place ordering Gen Zúñiga to step down from his appointed position, while police officers and news agencies talked outside the building.
President Evo Morales condemns Gen Zúñiga’s attempted coup, calls on citizens to support democracy:
The president, Evo Morales, initially had frowned at Gen Zúñiga’s action, endearing the country’s nationals to “organise and mobilise… in favour of democracy”.
Also Read: Officer dismissed from duties over hitting cow with police car, Surrey police
“We cannot allow once again coup attempts to take Bolivian lives,,” Evo Morales said from the presidential palace.
Mr Morales, who also condemned the coup attempt, called for criminal charges to be brought against Gen Zúñiga and his “accomplices”, according to a BBC’s report.
Bolivian Navy launches criminal investigation against Gen Zúñiga
A criminal investigation has been launched by the prosecutor’s office following the arrest of Vice-Adm Juan Arnez Salvador, who is the head of the Bolivian Navy.
The president, after Gen Zúñiga had criticised his government, confirmed in a statement that he had been officially removed from his public office as a commander.
Also Read: Body of 13-year-old British schoolgirl found drowned in swimming pool at Florida resort
Morales also revealed that he would appoint new military commanders, while further inquiries into Gen Zúñiga’s motivation for the coup attempt continues.