
Ukraine war: Russia's attempts to break through Ukrainian defensive line sabotaged
Russian forces launched incursive attacks across the north-eastern zone of Kharkiv, pushing their way through the defensive lines of Ukraine.
The Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky said this incursion was “a new wave of counteroffensive operations in the Kharkiv sector” of Ukraine.
“Russia has launched a new wave of counteroffensive operations in the Kharkiv sector” President Volodymyr Zelensky said.
However, Ukraine said that it countered a Russian armoured vehicle targeting the north-eastern Kharkiv region, following the initial attack.
According to Kharkiv regional head Oleh Syniehubov, attempts by a group of Russian military spies who were trying to gain access into the border failed, and “not a single metre has been lost”.
Ukrainian commanders have been expecting a summer offensive for some time, possibly even a bid to capture the regional capital Kharkiv. But officials are adamant Russia does not have the resources to do so, BBC reported.
“Russia had the capability to aggravate the situation in border areas but not the ability to capture Ukraine’s second city,” said the head of Ukraine’s centre for countering disinformation, Andriy Kovalenko.
Ukrainian reports suggested that Russia was trying to create a 1Okm buffer zone for its Belgorod region, after a series of Ukrainian cross-border attacks.
Officials suggest the attacks over the Russian border form a familiar but disturbing imaginary line of battle for the Ukrainian army.
Describing the nature of the Russian attacks, the defence ministry in Kyiv said it had begun with heavy bombing of the town of Vovchansk “using guided aerial bombs” with the support of artillery.
“At approximately 05:00, there was an attempt by the enemy to break through our defensive line under the cover of armoured vehicles,” Ukrainian defence ministry said.
“As of now, these attacks have been repulsed, fighting of varying intensity continues.”
Then, small Russian “‘scouting groups” moved in across the border, reportedly in several places.
The local head in Vovchansk, 75km (45miles) north-east of Kharkiy, said the town had come under heavy attack from the early hours of Friday and civilians were being evacuated.
According to Kharkiv’s regional leader, at least one person was killed and five more injured out of a total of number of 3,000 people living in Vovchansk.
President Zelensky also claimed that the Russians had been confronted by the Ukrainian “troops, brigades and artillery”.
As Russia has been trying to bank on the delayed arrival of American military weaponry, especially by pushing its way into the eastern Donetsk region.
Ukraine is evacuating Civilians from the Vovchansk district while reserve troops move in, according to officials..
The deputy chief of Ukraine’s military intelligence, Maj Gen Vadyn Skibitsky, told The Economist last week that Russia was gearing up for an assault on both Kharkiv and the northern region of Sumy, a source reported.
Predictions are, even as dozens of Russian troops have reportedly gathered on the border, you could be right to say there will be a repeat of 2022.
In 2022 Moscow failed to capture Kharkiv and Sumy in the early weeks of its full-blown military engagement, constant bombardment after the invasion of Ukraine, then only to be forced out of the border of Vovchansk.
If Russia would defeat the small town of Ukraine, it then would have done it when it had well-trained military officers and larger size of resistant troops.
A source from Ukraine claims that about 90% of Russia’s original 150,000 soldiers are either dead or fatally injured and unfit for battles.
Please, follow us on X @Epicstoriannews for more World News and African news and politics, the middle East news updates.
According to, a Military strategic analyst in Ukraine, Oleksandr Kovalenko, Russia would need 80,000 troops to conquer the small eastern city of Avdiivka in February, following months of constant military strikes.